The Woody Island Radio Range Station (RRS) is a former Civil Aeronautics Administration navigation facility that was constructed during World War II (1941).
Manned Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) operations at Woody Island ended in 1973, when FAA-owned land and most buildings were transferred to the Woody Island Tribal Council. The FAA currently maintains five unmanned facilities on Woody Island including a VOR Station and/or Tactical Air Navigation, non-directional beacon, Remote Communications Air/Ground (RCAG), Direction Finder (DF), and a Shop building.
Through previous investigative efforts, the FAA determined a need for the removal of debris and contaminated soil located in three separate areas of concern.
As a preferred contractor for the FAA, Ahtna Global was contracted to perform the following activities to accomplish FAA’s cleanup mission.
Removal and disposal of debris (batteries, electrical components, concrete, scrap steel, cables, furniture, and drums with non-hazardous content) located at the former dump site near the Communications Tower.
Excavation, stockpiling, characterization, and disposal of 600 cubic yards of contaminated soil from the former dump site. Dump materials included RCRA lead soils, TSCA PCB soils, asbestos contaminated soils, and non-hazardous soils.
Removal and disposal of the DF and associated infrastructure near the active RCAG.
Collection of soil samples from the former north drum area at the VOR site to determine onsite contaminants.