In an effort to accommodate more people, the NPS contracted Ahtna Global to perform park trail rehabilitations allowing visitors in wheelchairs to access the lodge’s front door.
Ahtna performed all work during the lodge’s off-season, ensuring minimal impact to operations.
The project consisted of the following activities:
- Demolition of existing concrete sidewalks/slabs and asphalt.
- Clearing and grubbing of sod.
- Excavation of unsuitable material and placement of classified fill to a specified grade verified by survey control.
- Constructing ADAAG/ABA compliant concrete sidewalks and ramps with integrated prefabricated trench drains.
- And installation of wood railings and wood pedestrian benches, including fabrication of all new stainless steel hardware.
In addition to the activities listed above, Ahtna also moved and extended an existing historic stairway and boardwalk to accommodate head height for visitors using the new ramp.
The Glacier Bay Lodge is of historical importance given the history of the building. As a result, Ahtna will be milling lumber to special dimensions to match the existing wood and historical appearance of the lodge.